Friday, October 24, 2008

D-Day 1 (Train to Goa)

October 16th, 2008 - The D-Day had finally arrived, I reached home at 6:30 AM and started packing, I didn't want to go to sleep after shift (as I would normally), wake up and rush through the packing activity. Most important to pack in your bags after your regular gear is Shades, Sunscreen and Hats (I took 3 of them) when you visiting Goa at this time of the year

I think I had a good sleep (again that's unusual when I'm about to go an trip, I can't sleep a wink) and had a glance at my iPhone, 2 missed calls, one from Karan and the other from Parag, the time was 2:30 PM. I called Parag first and he planned to take off from Pune at 5 and reach my place around 7-8. I called Karan and he gave me a news that was starting to give me convulsions, it sounded like another dropout, this time it was Tanveer who didn't respond to our calls or messages. I asked Karan to keep trying and went off to sleep, got up at 6 and called Parag first and this time I thought I'll almost go into a comma, Parag was not responding, we were just 3 hours from meeting up and people were not responding, what the f*** was going on??!! I wondered

I called Karan and he said he had no luck reaching Tanveer and I told him that Parag was not responding either. We were on the verge of calling this trip off when Parag called, "f***, where the f*** are you", I screamed, he said he was on the way and will reach my place by 8. Phew! I sent a message to Tanveer and said "If you are going to lay your ass off this trip, better give us the Goa contact #" and that's when Karan confirmed that Tanveer will make it and they will meet up at the appointed hour at Andheri station and move towards CST

Oh, that reminds me, over the course of the conversation with Karan, he told me Parag and I should come to CST instead of Panvel, so we could all have dinner together besides I had the updated ticket (after cancellation). Now Parag was running really late and he came at my place (Vashi) at 9, we caught a train to CST around 9:10 and reached CST by 10. By that time, Karan (the hoggard that he is) with an equally gluttony-faced Tanveer had started dinner and almost finished it. Parag and I made it to the Canon Food-Stall outside CST station and feasted on the Pav-bhaji and topped it up with chaas/lassi

We met outside the CST Station entrance that takes you to the trains that leave Mumbai, I mean you have to see it to believe it (even though we live in India and we know we have 1 billion people), a sea of humanity, I thought for a moment, anybody (to be read Politicians) who blames the security forces of this country for not taking steps to curb terrorism should be SHOT DEAD. I mean what the f*** you going to curb in this density of population per sq.km. People squatting on a single platform could make up for Australia's/NZs entire population

It was a nostalgic moment for both me and Parag, I can count the number of visits I have made to the CST Station and Gateway of India on my fingers from the time I was born. Getting on an outstation train was also after a really long time. Now coming back to the wild goose-chase to find our seats, we found the one for me, Karan and Parag; it was right next to the door (which is not ideal, coz the door to the A/C chamber is slammed back and forth). Tanveer found his in a different coach and then started the "Great Indian Adjust Trick". "Uncle, can you move here, Aunty can you move there," it worked, and Tanveer got a place in our berth. Man, who said "system decides the best seats for us", WE (humans) decide the best seat :)



We settled down and looked around for some prospects (to be read chics) and we found one behind our seat, it was a German chic with her b'f I guess, oh yeah, if you feel like a tourist in a bus/train/plane that is leaving for Goa, it is perfectly normal. We (Indians) are in the minority. Then we saw some Indian chics moving up and down the train but those as we found, were the "Honeymooners", why not, Goa is a fav Honeymoon destination in India. It was time, 11:05 and the train started moving, the departure service level made us believe, it will also arrive on time (next day 10:58) but it wasn't to be...read on…D-Day 2

No comments: